Food which is allowed to grow naturally without using any pesticides or fertilizer is called organic food. Exceptionally, Dairy products, poultry eggs and organic meat which are not given any antibiotics are known as organic products.
Organic foods are labeled by the approve of USDA(US Department of Agriculture ) or EC(European Commission).Lord Northbourne first coined ‘organic farming’ in his “Look to the Land” book in 1939.Later, in response to the industrials of agriculture, the movement of organic farm arose in 1940.
List of top countries which grows organic products:
Another European Union countries who are growing organic products – Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta,Poland,Portugal,Romania,Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden,The Netherlands,UnitedKingdom,Albania,Iceland,Macedonia,Moldova, Montenegro, Norway,Serbia,Switzerland,Turkey, Bosnia-Herzegovina,Russia,Ukraine
Asia and Pacific Regions are- Australia,Bhutan,China,India,Israel,Japan,New Zealand,Philippines,South Korea,Taiwan,Thailand,Armenia,Azerbaijan,Georgia,Hong Kong,Indonesia,Lebanon,Saudi Arabia,Vietnam.
The Americas and Caribbean countries are- Argentina,Bolivia,Brazil,Canada,Chile,Costa,Rica,Dominican Republic,Ecuador,El Salvador ,Honduras, Mexico,Paraguay,Peru,US, Cuba,Nicaragua
Africa– Ghana, Tunisia, St. Lucia, Cameroon, Egypt, Madagascar, SouthAfrica.
Many people still have doubt on taking of organic products.It’s happening because of not proper support or proved from any health organization.But recently there was a report prepared by European Parliament on February,2017on organic diet whether it is healthier than a non-organic diet.This shows the branch of not using medicine which deals with the incidence, distribution, and control of diseases.
Again”The Soil Association,” says ‘that organic food is more nourishment than conventional food’, Something the magazine called ‘a useful marketing ploy’ which is not supported by ‘the bulk of scientific opinion’.
Recently according to the new report.There are more benefits to taking organic products than conventional food. These are just some of the great reasons to choose organic:
- Organic foods are free from pesticides. In conventional food, even after it’s washed pesticide still remains in the food.Which damages three long-term birth children’s brains. A negative effect on their children’s IQ and neurobehavioral development, as well as with ADHD [attention deficit hyperactivity disorder] diagnoses. Also found the gray matter was thinner in children the higher their mothers’ exposure to organophosphates, which are used widely in pesticides.
- The report recommends that organic food is beneficial for pregnant and breastfeeding women for the scary effect of pesticides upon premature baby and mother.
- Organic meat and dairy are higher in omega 3 fatty acids, as well as some vitamins and minerals. Organic veg crops are higher in antioxidants and have fewer pesticides and toxic heavy metals (among other benefits)
- Reduces the risk of allergies in children (between the age of 5-15).
- Reduces the likelihood of obesity in adults who eats organic food.
- reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases, and reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
- Helps to reduce chronic diseases.
- Reduces frostbite to heavy metals like silvery-white metal, which gathers in high absorption in unnatural manure and non-organic soils
- Higher in omega-3 fatty acids in milk and meat, which comes from higher grass, clover and forage content of animals’ diet
- Improves in-vitro development in offspring when animals were given organic feed.
As a part of a healthy lifestyle, intercontinental organic food is welcomed by many countries.At present, among the world’s organic field the European Union holds accounts of 24%, expected to increase by 2·5 times to US$200 by the intercontinental organic market.
National Academy of Sciences analyzed “financial competitiveness of organic farming on a global scale” by looking at 44 studies covering 55 crops grown in 14 countries on five continents – North America, Europe, Asia, Central America, and Australia.
At last, they came to conclusion that “organic farming is more profitable upto22 to 35 percent for farmers than typical agriculture.”
In this report, several policy options were listed so that the European Parliament could consider to assist and expand organic food production. For instance, politicians could relinquish taxes on organic food. They could drop taxation on organic farmers. They also suggest that to support more research to learn more about the benefits of organic food.
Besides, pesticide vulnerability in farmers or workers has been associated with a variety of health effects including skin and eye irritation, lung problems, neural problems, and cancer. Agricultural subjection to pesticides has been linked to higher rates of stillbirth, birth defects, and miscarriage.
On organic farms, the precautionary use of antibiotics is confined and animals are given more space to roam in natural conditions, which reduces their risk for infections. These methods have been found to boost animal health, preemptive disease, and lessens antibiotic struggle.We know that the excessive use of antibiotics in farm animals is a granting factor in the growth of antibiotic fight in bacteria—a main public health ultimatum because this oppose can increase from animals to humans.
There are also other, though minor, advantages of organic food, such as higher contents of some nutrients, and less cadmium, but they are not of sufficient importance to guide food choices.